Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Cultural Surprise.

Experiencing the first summer rain in India... The clouds rolled in covering the hot noon sun. Then the breeze began to pick up. I walked outside to the smell of what seems to be a burning tradition. I am unsure of what the people here are burning but the scent is not harsh...

It is monsoon season.

Finally, a weekend settled in. I 'm taking in the culture.

Similar to in the U.S., there is a large gap between the well off and the poor. That gap I think is greater here.
There are so many religions in India. The family I stay with is Hindi but it is interesting to know the different greetings one says to certain families depending on the religion. Many people have servants, which seems some what of a benefit because of the need for money.

People here eat later than someone in the states would on a normal basis. They eat dinner around 9 pm, and lunch is given to us at 1 pm.

We are fortunate to have a toilet in our home stays and at the institute. Few homes here use toilet paper. Actually they have squatting pots... built into the ground of course.

With learning the language I have become more and more submerged into the culture... Yes, I do like this.





No comments:

Post a Comment